But, the question is asked often enough I thought I might share some insight on what we do to keep ourselves entertained in our tiny life.
- Cooking. As you have seen, we make cooking an event here in our little house. We like to experiment with new techniques. Sometimes we cook indoors, sometimes we cook out doors. Sometimes we cook just for ourselves, sometimes we cook with friends. We make it a group event and enjoy the process as much as we enjoy the outcome.
- Building. Someone recently asked Matt that since the house was now finished did he miss the building process. He had to admit he did. So we keep building stuff! We built our outdoor kitchen. And now we are working on a 12x12 deck in the clearing behind the house that will be a place to hang out, play music, eat, and enjoy the woods. I promise to post photos when it is done.
- Games. Even before we moved, Matt and I would play online games with friends from all over the country. We use to play Lord of the Rings Online and now we play Star Wars The Old Republic. It is still a great way to be social and enjoy an activity. We have a couple of table top games to play like Munchkin and Fluxx.
- Movies and TV. We don't have a conventional TV or cable but that doesn't mean we are cut off from the world of television and movies. We primarily use a tablet for these functions and we have countless options. We have used Netflix and Hulu but right now I am digging Google Play. We also catch up on old shows we didn't watch the first time.
- Hiking. We started out doing a lot of this, then it got super hot. Then we went camping. We need to get back to hiking but the trails aren't going anywhere as far as we know. We also have plenty of places on our own land to wander through.
- Reading. I've always been an avid reader, but it was usually relegated to a half an hour before bed or maybe on weekends. Now I find that a time when I would have turned on the television to watch reality shows on TLC I will curl up on the sofa with Piglet and read instead.
- Asheville. We moved to this area for a reason. We love the city of Asheville and all it has to offer. Day or night there is something fun to do. We recently discovered a great movie theater just south of the city, The Carolina. We love the bars and breweries, of course. Yesterday we discovered a little shop where you can taste dozens of olive oils and balsamic vinegars. We spent quite a bit of time there.