Monday, April 19, 2010

Installing Windows 1.0

Before going up to Asheville this weekend, every time we told someone we were "Installing windows" they thought we meant on the computer.  But no, we were actually going to be installing real windows on our tiny house. 

With the windows in, I can't tell you how pleased I am with our overall progress.  Just a door and the siding (and general trimming, painting, staining and finishing) and the outside is nearly done.  Then just a porch/deck and porch overhang.  Then we get to move to finishing the inside! 

This weekend, Matt and I took Friday off.  We thought about leaving Thursday night but we just had too many things to get done to make that happen.  We decided to go to sleep early and wake up...at 5:30am.  We were on the road by about 6:45 and heading north on I-85. 

When we got to Mt. Matt we got camp set up and started to plan our projects.  We had some preparation to do for the windows first, including sill flashing.  We went up to the house and Matt cut the openings in the homewrap for the windows and I trimmed and taped while he prepared the sill tape.  Sill tape is an evil thing devised by evil people.  It is an extremely sticky tar-backed tape with a foil face.  Trust me, there is no way in any universe that this tape can go on quickly and easily.  But, after Matt got into the groove he was rocking.  We were finished by about 5pm so we decided to treat ourselves with a trip into Asheville for the evening.  However, we were tired early and came back to camp by 10pm. 
It was chilly in the morning in the mountains, so when we woke up we knew we couldn't do any real work yet, so we headed up to the local coffeehouse, Zuma, and had some coffee and breakfast and planned out the day ahead.  There were 9 total windows to install.  We needed to dry fit them, determine if they needed shims and then just get to it.  Our friend Chris was joining us for the project, but we weren't quite sure when to expect him. 

We got back to Mt. Matt and checked the first two windows.  They were a perfect fit.  Just then, as it turned out, Chris pulled up to the barn.  It was only 12:30, which was excellent as he could help Matt with the actual installation of windows.  So we got to it.   The first one went in smoothly and so I left to go get some supplies at Lowe's.  By the time I got back they only had three windows left.  They knocked those out in no time, we cleaned up our worksite and went back down to the barn to have a camp fire and grill some steaks.  

On Sunday, we needed to do some finish work on the windows.  The manufacturers instructions indicated we should stain and paint.  Unable to do both, we decided to paint the inside first because the outside is primered.  While Chris worked on patching the nail holes in the outside window frames, Matt and I took out each window sash and stained them.  We let them dry and put them back.  Then we cleaned up for the day and headed back to Atlanta. 

We selected these windows purposefully.  We wanted to make sure that our cat was able to lounge in the sun through the windows but not accidentally push out a screen and get out, so these sashes provide both top and bottom opening.  The tiny windows in the gables are awning windows that crank out instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after moderation! Thanks for visiting!